Founded in 1842 by Daniel Wadsworth, the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art is one of the oldest public art museums in the United States. Of the five interconnected buildings, the Morgan Memorial Building is the largest and the first Beaux-arts museum building in the U.S. The Morgan Memorial Building, fully opened to the public in 1915, provided exhibition space for the Wadsworth Atheneum’s growing fine arts collection. In 1917, J.P. Morgan, Jr., presented the Wadsworth Atheneum—per his father’s will—with more than 1,300 objects from J. Pierpont Morgan’s collection of decorative arts, many of which have been on view in the building over the years. The Goodwin Parlor, from the Major James Goodwin house on Woodland Street in Hartford, was installed in the Morgan Memorial in 1944.
Grand Light’s restoration specialists recently restored a historic crystal chandelier from Wadsworth Atheneum’s Goodwin Parlor. On-site specialists diligently undressed all crystal strands and disassembled all components for transportation to the Grand Light’s lighting restoration and custom lighting manufacturing facility.
Each crystal component was individually inspected for damage/imperfections, sorted, and hand and ultrasonically cleaned to remove all foreign material. Any damaged strands were carefully repaired and beaded.
Matching custom crystal arm replications and replica globes were fabricated to replace those components that were either broken or missing.
The restored chandelier after Grand Light’s on-site specialists assembled, installed, and dressed the historic fixture at the museum.
For more information regarding this lighting restoration project, you may review the project homepage at Wadsworth Atheneum.