PHILADELPHIA, PA – The replication and restoration of a large outdoor lantern from the Shrine of the Miraculous Medal has been completed.
The original fixture, seen on the right in the photo above, was located near the front entrance of the Shrine of the Miraculous Medal. To restore the fixture, the frame of the lantern was removed from the pole, and all individual components were disassembled so that they could be individually inspected for damage and repaired as needed. Once disassembled, the frame, pole, and individual components of the fixture were glass-bead blasted to smooth the surface profile and to remove all undesirable residual contaminants; preparing the surfaces for the powdercoat.
Numerous holes that were drilled to hold plastic panels during a previous repair were filled in, and copper tabs were soldered to the lantern’s frame for the purpose of holding new glass panels.
Each component was then individually replicated and reassembled to form an identical match of the original. As a final step, the original and the replication were given a matte-black textured finish and then wired in accordance with UL standards. Both the original and the replication can be seen in the image below.
Above is a close-up view of the base of the fixtures, which will mount to a stone column. The full fixtures can be seen below, crated for shipment back to Pennsylvania.
About Grand Light:
Grand Light has restored, replicated and manufactured custom lighting fixtures at every scale, including various projects at Yale University, Minute Man National Historical Park, the Lincoln Square Theater in Decatur, IL, The Otesaga Resort and Hotel in Cooperstown, NY, The Shubert Theater in New Haven, CT, and other prestigious projects nation wide.
Located at 580 Grand Avenue, New Haven, CT, Grand Light has been serving the interior and exterior lighting needs of homeowners and professionals since 1929.