Built in 1872 on the isolated Body’s Island of North Carolina’s Cape Hatteras National Seashore, The Bodie Island Lighthouse is one of the most classic settings of American light stations. The structure has a significant history; having been destroyed and rebuilt twice, once by retreating Confederate troops in 1861 who feared the lighthouse could be used as a Union observation post during the Civil War.
The current Bodie Island Lighthouse was built in the model of the Cape Lookout Lighthouse, and is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It stands 156 feet tall and is located on the Roanoke Sound side of the first island that is part of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, and is one of the very few lighthouses that feature an active 1st order Fresnel lens.
The corrosive conditions of the seashore have resulted in extensive deterioration of the structure, including ten historic lighting fixtures of the lighthouse’s interior. As a part of a major restoration project intended to restore and preserve the structural integrity of the lighthouse, Grand Light was asked to restore seven fixtures from the interior of the structure as well as three fixtures from the nearby Oil House.
The seven lighting fixtures from the interior of the lighthouse were manufactured by Russell & Stoll and constructed in cast iron with a water tight rating. The fixtures had suffered extensive deterioration of the original finish. The adjacent Oil House featured three porcelain RLM-style pendant lighting fixtures, which were also in dire need of restoration.