Located in Paterson, New Jersey, the current Cathedral of St. John the Baptist began construction in September of 1865 on sixteen lots of land. The Cathedral was planned by the church’s thirteenth pastor, Very Rev. William McNulty and designed by prominent church architect, P. C. Kiely, in a neo-Gothic style. St. John’s was built by the volunteer labor of members of the parish and completed in July of 1870. The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is governed by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Paterson, which oversees 109 parishes, 39 Catholic Schools, 64 Catholic Charities locations, and various ministries in the three counties of Passaic, Morris, and Sussex in northern New Jersey.
Grand Light designed and manufactured custom pendant lights replicating the style of an existing historic interior fixture. The pendants were constructed with aluminum and include six custom acrylic panels fitted by Grand Light technicians to each custom pendant. An extended life black finish was applied incorporating multiple applications of primer, top coats, and protective layers of UV resistant lacquer.
This project also included the replication of a missing exterior fixture. The original wall mounted exterior frame and bracket featured intricate detailing and a beautiful verdigris patina, all of which were accurately reproduced on the replicated fixture. Grand Light artisans replicated every detail exact, even down to the use of bronze for the base metal. All fixtures were wired with UL listed components and tested in accordance with UL standard 1598.
In addition to these custom fabrications, the project required the restoration of original luminaries ranging from large chandeliers, wall sconces, pendant lights, and exterior lanterns.
For specific modifications per fixture type, click the appropriate image below: