Dakota Middle School was originally known as Rapid City High School, and was built in 1923. The school maintained its name thru the 1970’s until all of the students were moved from Rapid City High School to Central High School in 1979 and the building was converted into a middle school and was to be called Dakota Middle School.
The board of education for Rapid City Area Schools has agreed to transform Dakota Middle School into Rapid City High School once again, starting in July 2012. The building will now serve as a third high school, housing the district’s alternative programs and, potentially, career and technical education classes. The building will also house a newly renovated theater, which is a collaboration of the school district, the city of Rapid City and the Rapid City Performing Arts Coalition.
Grand Light was contracted to restore and replicate components of the 40 original lighting fixtures, bringing them back to their original beauty. The restored fixtures included 11 ceiling fixtures, 15 pendant lights, and 14 wall sconces.