Lowell House, located on Holyoke Place facing Mount Auburn Street between Harvard Yard and the Charles River, is officially named after the prominent Lowell family, one of the Boston Brahmin families of New England. Designed by the firm of Coolidge Shepley Bulfinch and Abbott with a majestic neo-Georgian design and constructed in 1930 for $3,620,000, Lowell House was one of the first Houses built in realization of President Abbott Lawrence Lowell’s long-held dream of providing on-campus accommodations for every Harvard College student throughout his career at the College.
Beginning in June 2017, Lowell House will be the fifth House of twelve to receive an architectural redesign as part of Harvard’s ambitious, multiple decade $1 billion House renewal project.
Grand Light restored 100+ original luminaries ranging from large chandeliers, wall sconces, exterior lanterns, pendant and ceiling lights. These fixtures underwent several different restoration techniques ranging from cleaning and conservation of the existing finishes, to complete refinishing. All fixtures were rewired in accordance with UL standards. Of the historic luminaires requiring restoration, a majority were manufactured by the renowned Edward F. Caldwell & Company of New York City, the premier designer and manufacturer of electric light fixtures and decorative metalwork from the late 19th to the mid-20th centuries.
In addition to the restoration of the historic lighting fixtures, Grand Light designed and fabricated custom lighting fixtures based on existing exterior lanterns and a decorative ceiling light.
For specific modifications per fixture type, click the appropriate image below: