In the mid-1920s, Harvard constructed student residences on the banks of the recently dammed Charles River, residences initially occupied by freshmen. McKinlock Hall, built in 1925, was one of those original buildings. The building was donated by the family of Lieut. George Alexander McKinlock Jr., a Harvard graduate who was killed by a German machine gun near Soissons in 1918. The bulk of McKinlock Hall consists of 5 entryways, each of which leads to four or five floors of suites for approximately 35 students. McKinlock also serves as the center of Leverett social life: it houses the Leverett Dining Hall, the Junior and Senior Common Rooms, the Old Library Theatre, the Master’s Residence, and several other common spaces.
Grand Light was selected to restore the historic fixtures in the hall located on the Harvard University Campus in Cambridge, MA. There are several different types of fixtures ranging from chandeliers, wall sconces, ceiling mounted fixtures, pendant lights, and outdoor lanterns. These fixtures underwent several different restoration techniques ranging from cleaning and conservation of the existing finishes, to complete refinishing. All fixtures were rewired in accordance with UL standards.
For specific modifications per fixture type, click the appropriate image below:
Project Case Study
To review the Project Case Study, click the image below: