The Jamaica Readiness Center is located at the corner of 168th Street and 93rd Avenue. Planning for the initial construction of the Jamaica Armory began in 1928 when the Armory Board went looking for a plot of land to serve as a new home for the New York National Guard’s 104th Artillery Regiment. The Art Deco-style Amory cost $1.5 million to build and was completed in 1936. Architect Charles B. Meyers, who specialized in designing schools, hospitals and public buildings, designed the armory.
Currently, the Jamaica Armory is a critical training location and home for the New York Army National Guard’s 1st Battalion of the 258th Field Artillery and the 442nd Military Police Co., and has always served as a key support location when the National Guard assists New York City in emergency response.
$91 million in federal funding was recently secured for a massive expansion and renovation at the Jamaica Armory which will provide essential new infrastructure, replace outdated mechanical systems, eliminate current environmental/safety hazards, and improve the New York National Guard’s long term readiness and recruitment capabilities.