The Massachusetts State House is the state capitol and house of government of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Built in 1798, the building houses the Massachusetts General Court and the offices of the Governor of Massachusetts. Located on top of Beacon Hill in Boston, adjacent to the Boston Common on Beacon Street, the building is situated on 6.7 acres of land. It was built on land once owned by John Hancock, Massachusetts first elected governor, and was designed by Charles Bullfinch, the leading architect of the day. Grand Light was awarded the contract for the fabrication of 12 custom fixtures that were retrofitted to existing cylinders in the Great Hall of Flags at the State House.
The challenge was presented to the Grand Light team to fabricate seamless cylindrical tube that will be retrofitted to the existing fixture. The cylinder has been designed by rolling a 1/16″ thick aluminum sheet and weld it together to make a cylinder. The weld was then cleaned and a 1″ wide ring was added to the bottom. The 39 inches tall and 12″ wide cylinder was then powder coated using a custom color that was specified by the client.
These cylinders were then attached to the existing brackets located at the top of the fixture using screws that were powder coated to match the rolled cylinder.
For specific modifications per fixture type, click the appropriate image below: