The New Haven County Courthouse is located in the Downtown of New Haven, Connecticut. It has been a prominent and stately presence on the New Haven Green since its opening in 1914.The New Haven County Courthouse at the corner of Elm and Church Streets, was one of a handful of buildings commissioned by New Haven County to bolster its City Beautiful movement.
Modeled after St. George’s Hall in Liverpool, England, the courthouse was designed by New Haven architects William Allen and Richard Williams. The building’s design infused Beaux-Arts principles in a Neo-classical style. Construction began in 1909 and five years later, at a cost of $1.3 million, the structure was completed. It officially opened its doors on March 24, 1914. Statuary in front of the Courthouse by noted sculptor J. Massey Rhind and murals and lunettes inside by famed early 20th Century painter T. Thomas Gilbert help give the imposing building its aesthetic appeal. Today it serves as the Geographical Area #23 Courthouse. The building added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 16, 2003.
Grand Light was selected to restore the massive front entry lanterns to their original glory. These massive cast bronze fixtures are 65″ tall and 30″ wide and are estimated to weigh 400 pounds each when fully assembled. The restoration of these fixtures included mechanical repairs, rewiring, and refinishing of all the fixture components. Grand Light created a special recipe to replicate the original red rust hot patina finish. This original finish was also discovered after removal of the black paint not only on the lanterns, but the on large entry way doors and arches as well.
In addition to the lanterns, Grand Light was asked to refinish the massive courthouse doors and finish entry door replications. These giant cast and plate doors are over 8 ft tall and are estimated to weigh well over 800 pounds each. The restoration of the doors included repairing and filling holes, removing all aged finish, and an application of a new beautiful red rust patina. Grand Light created a special recipe to replicate the original red rust hot patina finish that was applied to both the original and replications.
“The Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation Merit Award acknowledges the outstanding work by the project team in arresting the deterioration of the Courthouse and preserving its exterior and significant architectural features.”
For specific modifications per fixture type, click the appropriate image below:
Grand Light artisans apply the red rust finish to to main body of the new haven courthouse fixtures.
Project Case Study
To review the Project Case Study, click the image below: