The original theater, George’s Theater, built by George Kiernan, was opened in October, 1915. By 1936 the theater had undergone a complete makeover, designed by famed theater architect John Eberson of New York. In 1978 the theater was sold and renamed the Sag Harbor Cinema.
Unfortunately, Sag Harbor Cinema’s façade was ultimately destroyed by fire in December, 2016. The theater is currently being rebuilt and restored in an effort to help preserve Sag Harbor’s historic Main Street and provide a haven for the showing of independent, foreign and documentary films on the East End of Long Island.
Grand Light not only restored the historic ceiling lights and exit signs from the theater, but also used the surviving fixtures as a template to replicate new fixtures to be installed in the renovated theater. Extreme attention was taken to replicate the original fixtures’ intricate detailing to accurately capture the historical significance.
Modern LED technology was incorporated into both the replications and restored exit signs. New replica etched “EXIT” on ruby red flashed glass faceplates were fabricated and a custom historically accurate gold painted finish was applied.
For specific modifications per fixture type, click the appropriate image below: