The restoration team at Grand Light was given the task of fully restoring and replicating a large outdoor lantern and post from the Shrine of the Miraculous Medal in Philadelphia, PA.
The building, also known as the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception or Mary’s Central Shrine, was built in Philadelphia’s historic section of Germantown in 1875. Since 1927, the chapel’s west transept has housed Mary’s Central Shrine, a special place of worship to honor Mary Immaculate and the Miraculous Medal.
The lantern was located on a large column located in the front of the chapel. Upon arriving at Grand Light’s restoration facilities, the fixture was fully inspected, photographed, and cataloged. Certain components of the fixture had greatly deteriorated from decades of exposure to the weather.
The fixture was sandblasted to remove any undesirable residual contaminants on the surface, and to smooth the surface profile. New copper tabs were added to hold replacement glass panels. The fixture was then rewired to hold 42 watt CFL bulb, and given a powder coat matte black textured finish. Once completed, the fixture was replicated so that a matching lantern can be installed opposite the original.
Project Case Study
To review the Project Case Study, click the image below: