Springfield Museums – George Walter Vincent Smith Museum

Historic Exterior Lanterns Restoration

Project Info

Job Site Springfield, MA

Project Description

Founded in 1857, The Springfield Museums are one of the earliest museums systems in the country. The consortium consists of five world-class museums, including The Amazing World of Dr. Seuss Museum, two Art Museums, Science Museum, History Museum and the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden, all centrally located on one campus in the heart of downtown Springfield, MA. The Springfield Museums was awarded full accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums in 2013 and is a Smithsonian Affiliate.

The George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum is named for the collection’s original owner. Smith and his wife, Belle Townsley Smith, who bequeathed their notable collection to begin the museum. The Italian palazzo-style building opened in 1895 and was designed by the New York City-based Renwick, Aspinwall and Russell and Springfield architect Walter T. Owen. It is the oldest of the five museums on the Quadrangle.

Grand Light is restoring the massive exterior steel lanterns and entry gates. The restoration of the outdoor fixtures and gates included extensive mechanical repairs to damaged ornate steel components, surface preparation, application of a rich epoxy primer, and an application of exterior architectural semi gloss black powder finish.

All electrical components were replaced and rewired with UL listed products and tested in accordance with UL 1598 standards.