The Cathedral of St. Joseph, the Archdiocese of Hartford, contracted Grand Light to retrofit their current lighting system for improved efficiency and lower operating cost. We decided to go with a QL Induction Lighting System that would enable a ultra long life per unit, consistent color, and the ability to dim as needed. Grand Light artisans crafted a pre-production model of the system and demonstrated it, and upon approval by the Archdiocese, we began production of the parts that would be used to retrofit the 216 light kits they have installed.
The Cathedral of St. Joseph was first built in 1892, after 20 years of planning and construction overseen by three Bishops. The original architect was Patrick C. Keely, and the design was well received by the parishioners of Hartford and surrounding municipalities. On December 31st, 1956, a fire of unknown origin burned the church to the ground and destroyed the entirety of the original structure. Work was done to rebuild the church and it was re-opened in 1962. It features twenty-six windows, designed and crafted in Paris by Jean Barillet, bells built in Holland, and a massive organ consisting of 8000 pipes. The size of the church requires tremendous lighting capability, and the cost of operating the 216 lights that are hung around 100 feet in the air has grown over the years to be a large part of the annual budget.
For specific modifications per fixture type, click the appropriate image below:
Project Case Study
To review the Project Case Study, click the image below: