The Dwight Hall Chapel at Yale University has seen many changes since it’s inception in 1846, but has remained an unfaltering place for students to connect with the community for both spiritual and social causes.
The Chapel was built in 1842, and takes its name from Timothy Dwight, president of the University from 1795 through 1817. It was designed by architect Henry Austin, who was born in Connecticut and practiced architecture for over fifty years, based out of New Haven. Austin worked on both public and private buildings, and his gothic revival architecture style made him one of the most popular architects of the time. His valued contributions to the city are still noted today. The Grove Street Cemetery Gates, New Haven City Hall, and numerous buildings for Yale are among Austin’s celebrated efforts. Located in an area of New Haven renowned for essentially being an outdoor museum of architecture, and with the historical precedent set, it was imperative that any restorations on the campus be handled with care and attention to detail, no matter how small the task.
Grand Light was given the task to refurbish six antique iron pendants and seven wall sconces that had been weathered with time and needed complete restoration.
The team began by restoring the damaged leaded glass panels inside of the iron frames. They carefully reproduced the panels to emanate light in a warm, even glow – maintaining the ambiance created by the medieval style of the buildings’ interior.
Grand Light then went on to carefully strip the iron exteriors and refinished pendants. With the application of a clear, non-yellowing, UV resistant lacquer and internal rewiring to adhere with UL specifications, the pendants were complete.
With the thirteen pieces rewired, repaired, refinished and restored, Grand Light installed the sconces and pendants as scheduled, completing this leg of Grand Light’s extensive work with Yale University.