The White House Visitor Center is located at 1450 Pennsylvania Ave. NW in the Department of Commerce Building on the Southeast corner of 15th and E Streets. The White House Visitor Center completed a $12.6 million renovation which reopened to the public in September 2014. The project was a public private endeavor between the National Park Service and the White House Historical Association.
As a part of a renovation, Grand Light was selected to replicate eight sconces that were original to the building for an addition during this phase. A total of eight historic replications were made using bronze and hand forged iron. An original fixture was shipped to Grand Light were it was disassembled so that molds could be made to replicate cast brass components, and the iron components served as a template to our craftsman for replication on the hand forged pieces. The cast brass components we made using the lost wax method of casting the hand-forged steel components will be forged using old world blacksmith techniques. The cast brass components were antiqued for an aged look and the hard forged steel portions received a black patina, and then received three coats of protective wax.
For specific modifications per fixture type, click the appropriate image below:
Project Case Study
To review the Project Case Study, click the image below: