The Trinity United Methodist Church, located in Springfield, Massachusetts, was designed by Boston firm Allen and Collens in the Gothic Revival style and completed in 1929.
This restoration project included the onsite removal, restoration, and re-installation of multiple large hand forged and engraved steel chandeliers.
The chandeliers were disassembled, ultrasonically and hand cleaned, and walnut/soda blasted to prepare the existing raw steel surface. Each fixture received multiple applications of UV protective metal oil top coating containing binders, rust, and UV inhibitors.
Existing amber theatrical gel on plastic diffusers were replaced with elegant mica diffusers. Reflectors were added into crown of the outer lampholder and the socket relocated 1 1/8″ from original location for diffuse down lighting.
All historic chandeliers were packed carefully into Grand Light’s trailers and transported back to the church for re-installation.
Utilizing scaffolding, ladders, and chain fall hoists, Grand Light’s onsite specialists successfully assembled and raised the historic chandeliers all without the removal or damage to the church’s pews or floors.
The Grand Light team is delighted that the parish and guest will be able to enjoy these beautifully restored chandeliers for decades to come.
For more information regarding the restoration of the historic lighting fixtures from the Trinity United Methodist Church project, you may review the Lighting Restoration Project Webpage.