The restoration team at Grand Light has begun the process of restoring and replicating a large outdoor lantern and post from the Shrine of the Miraculous Medal in Philadelphia.
The building, also known as the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception or Mary’s Central Shrine, was built in Philadelphia’s historic section of Germantown in 1875. Since 1927, the chapel’s west transept has housed Mary’s Central Shrine, a special place of worship to honor Mary Immaculate and the Miraculous Medal.
The lantern and pole that were given to Grand Light to restore was located on a large column located in the front of the chapel.
Upon arriving at Grand Light’s restoration facilities, the fixture was fully inspected, photographed, and cataloged. As seen in the photos below, certain components of the fixture had greatly deteriorated from decades of exposure to the weather.
In the picture below, the lantern has been removed from the pole, revealing the extent of the damage to the fixture.
The fixture will be sandblasted to remove any undesirable residual contaminants on the surface, and to smooth the surface profile. New copper tabs will be added to hold replacement glass panels. The fixture will be rewired to hold 42 watt CFL bulb, and will be given a powder coat matte black textured finish. Once completed, the fixture will be replicated so that a matching lantern can be installed opposite the original.
About New Grand Light, LLC:
Grand Light has restored, replicated and manufactured custom lighting fixtures at every scale, including various projects at Yale University, antique pieces from the Lincoln Square Theater in Decatur, IL, The Otesaga Resort and Hotel in Cooperstown, NY, The Shubert Theater in New Haven, CT, and other prestigious projects nation wide.
Located at 580 Grand Avenue, New Haven, CT, Grand Light has been serving the interior and exterior lighting needs of homeowners and professionals for over 70 years.