The United States Military Academy (West Point) is located approximately 50 miles (80 km) north of New York City on the western bank of the Hudson River in West Point, New York. West Point and grounds were declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960 due to the Revolutionary War history and the age and historic significance of the Academy itself.
The Eisenhower Barracks, built in 1968, is named after General of the Army and former president Dwight D. Eisenhower and houses cadets from Third Regiment and Cadet Brigade Staff.
Grand Light teamed with Ducci Electrical Contractors, Inc. to restore numerous historic exterior lanterns and ceiling lights from the Eisenhower Barracks renovation project.
Each lantern was walnut blasted to clean and conserve the existing verde green patina finish, and in areas of significant finish failure, re-patination of components or finish blending was required. After cleaning, conservation, and re-patination, a UV-resistant lacquer top coat was applied to each lantern.
All wiring was replaced with UL listed components and HIPOT tested in accordance with UL standard 1598. Additionally, custom socket covers and brass sleeve tubes were installed on the interior of each fixture and finished to match the Verde bronze finish.
Each existing panel was replaced with a new optix custom slumped acrylic panel to match missing or damaged original glass panels.
The restored lanterns installed along the facade of the barracks.
For more information regarding the restoration of the historic lighting fixtures from the West Point – Eisenhower Barracks project, you may review the Historic Lighting Restoration Project Webpage.